Church of the Resurrection of Lazarus, from Murom Monastery (Karelia, Late 14th Century?), Northeast View, Kizhi Island, Russia
This northeast view of the Church of the Resurrection of Lazarus on Kizhi Island (Karelia) was taken in 1988 by Dr. William Brumfield, American photographer and historian of Russian architecture, as part of the "Meeting of Frontiers" project at the Library of Congress. Located within an archipelago in the southwestern part of Lake Onega, Kizhi Island is one of the most revered sites in the Russian north. It was organized as a museum in 1960. The miniature Church of the Resurrection of Lazarus was originally built at the Murom-Dormition Monastery (Pudozhskii District), perhaps as early as the late 14th century—in which case it would be Russia’s oldest surviving log structure. Church accounts state that the monastery’s founder, Lazarus, built the church at the monastery cemetery in 1390, a year before his death. The monastery was despoiled after 1918, but the ancient church was studied in the 1950s by A.V. Opolovnikov and was reassembled as part of the Kizhi Museum of Wooden Architecture. Its form is a linear arrangement of log "cells" (klety) constructed of pine logs joined in a notched (v oblo) method. On the east side (on the left) is the apse, with the altar. The central “cell,” crowned with a cupola covered with aspen shingles and a cross, contains the worship space. On the west side is a small vestibule and entrance. The windows have archaic horizontal sliding shutters.
Type of Item
1 slide : color ; 35 millimeter
Last updated: January 11, 2016