Puzan-Puzyrevsky House (Herzen Street No. 35) (1831-33), Vologda, Russia
This view of the Puzan-Puzyrevskii house, No. 35 Herzen Street in Vologda, was taken in 2000 by Dr. William Brumfield, American photographer and historian of Russian architecture, as part of the "Meeting of Frontiers" project at the Library of Congress. Before the founding of Saint Petersburg in 1703, Russia depended on a northern route through the White Sea for trade with western Europe. One of the important centers on this route was Vologda, founded in the 12th century. Vologda remained a transportation and commercial hub in the Russian north. In the 19th century, its residential areas consisted primarily of two-story dwellings built of logs, with milled siding and decorative details. One of the most elegant examples, with its two-story neoclassical portico, is the Puzan-Puzyrevskii house, built in 1831-33 for a merchant family on one of Vologda’s most prestigious streets, Dvorianskaia (of the nobility). During the Soviet period the street was renamed for Alexander Herzen, the renowned writer and social activist of noble origins. Since the 1990s, the house has contained the Museum of the Diplomatic Corps by virtue of having served in 1918 as the temporary U.S. Embassy (headed by Ambassador David R. Francis) after the revolutionary upheavals in Petrograd and Moscow.
Type of Item
1 slide : color ; 35 millimeter
Last updated: January 11, 2016