Savior-Prilutskii Monastery, South Panorama, Winter, Vologda, Russia
This south view of the Savior-Prilutskii Monastery on the outskirts of Vologda was taken in 2000 by Dr. William Brumfield, American photographer and historian of Russian architecture, as part of the "Meeting of Frontiers" project at the Library of Congress. Before the founding of Saint Petersburg in 1703, Russia depended on a northern route through the White Sea for trade with western Europe. One of the important centers on this route was Vologda, founded in the 12th century. Vologda’s significance was reaffirmed with the establishment in 1371 of the Savior-Prilutskii Monastery, situated at a bend (pri luki) in the Vologda River. Its founder, the monk Dmitrii (Prilutskii), had the support of Muscovy's grand prince, Dmitrii Ivanovich (Donskoi), who saw the monastery as one of the first bulwarks of Orthodox Moscow in the strategic Vologda area. The structures seen in this winter view, taken across the frozen Vologda River, date from the 16th to the 19th centuries. They include (from the left): the southwest corner tower; the bell tower and Gate Church of the Ascension; the cathedral bell tower with the Chapel of Saint Aleksii; the Church (sobor) of the Transfiguration of the Savior; the refectory Church of the Presentation of the Virgin; the northeast tower (background); and the massive southeast corner tower.
Type of Item
1 slide : color ; 35 millimeter
Last updated: July 28, 2017