Savior-Prilutskii Monastery, Southeast Panorama, with Vologda River, Vologda, Russia
This southeast view of the Savior-Prilutskii Monastery on the outskirts of Vologda was taken in 1998 by Dr. William Brumfield, American photographer and historian of Russian architecture, as part of the "Meeting of Frontiers" project at the Library of Congress. Before the founding of Saint Petersburg in 1703, Russia depended on a northern route through the White Sea for trade with western Europe. One of the important centers on this route was Vologda, founded in the 12th century. Vologda’s significance was reaffirmed with the establishment in 1371 of the Savior-Prilutskii Monastery, situated at a bend (pri luki) in the Vologda River. Its founder, the monk Dmitrii (Prilutskii), had the support of Muscovy's grand prince, Dmitrii Ivanovich (Donskoi), who saw the monastery as one of the first bulwarks of Orthodox Moscow in the strategic Vologda area. The original monastery buildings were built of logs. After its destruction by fire, the cathedral (sobor), dedicated to the Transfiguration of the Savior, was rebuilt in brick in1537-42. This project had Moscow’s direct support, including a decree issued in 1541 by the young Ivan IV (the Terrible) releasing the monastery from taxes for a period of five years. In the foreground is the massive southeast corner tower (late 17th century), reflected in the Vologda River.
Type of Item
1 slide : color ; 35 millimeter
Last updated: July 28, 2017