Nineteenth-Century Shops on Peace Street, Vologda, Russia
This winter view of Peace Street (Ulitsa mira), the main street in central Vologda, was taken in 1998 by Dr. William Brumfield, American photographer and historian of Russian architecture, as part of the "Meeting of Frontiers" project at the Library of Congress. Before the founding of Saint Petersburg in 1703, Russia depended on a northern route through the White Sea for trade with western Europe. One of the important centers on this route was Vologda, founded in the 12th century. Vologda has remained a transportation and commercial hub in the Russian north. The center of its historic trading district is Peace Street. Until October 1918 it was known as Zolotushinaia Street, after the small Zolotukha River, which runs parallel to the street before flowing into the Vologda River. In 1918 the street was renamed Freedom Quay (Naberezhnaia svobody), and in the 1930s it was transformed into a tree-lined boulevard. The street acquired its present name in 1961. In this photograph, the stucco brick buildings, Nos. 10-22, date primarily from the 19th century and are typical examples of provincial commercial architecture. In some cases the owners lived above the shops.
Type of Item
1 slide : color ; 35 millimeter
Last updated: July 28, 2017