Church of the Trinity in Green Fisher's Quarter (1768-72 and 1780-88), Southwest View, Tot'ma, Russia
This southwest view of the Church of the Trinity at Zelenskaia Fishermen’s Quarter in Tot'ma (Vologda Oblast) was taken in 1996 by Dr. William Brumfield, American photographer and historian of Russian architecture, as part of the "Meeting of Frontiers" project at the Library of Congress. Located on the Sukhona River, Tot’ma for centuries was part of an important trading network that led from the Russian heartland northward to the White Sea. This network sustained the prosperity of local merchants who made donations for church construction. An example is the Church of the Trinity, situated near the Sukhona River and erected in two parts, one above the other, in 1768-72 and 1780-88. The merchant Sergei Cherepanov supported the construction of the church. The master builder was Fëdor Titov, a free peasant. This view of the west facade shows the naively ornamented portal leading to the lower church. The unheated upper church, reached via a staircase in the vestibule, was intended for use only in the summer. The Church of the Trinity was restored in the early 1990s for use as a parish church. Its cupolas and tall crosses, destroyed during the Soviet period, have been replaced on ascending octagonal drums, and its whitewashed brick walls display the scroll ornamentation distinctive to late 18th-century Tot’ma churches.
Type of Item
1 slide : color ; 35 millimeter
Last updated: January 11, 2016