Church of St. Dmitrii (1700-09), and Church of St. Sergius Radonezh (1739-47), at Dymkova Sloboda, East Panorama with Sukhona River, Velikii Ustiug, Russia
This view westward, across the Sukhona River, of the church ensemble at the village of Dymkovo (near Velikii Ustiug, Vologda Oblast), was taken in 1998 by Dr. William Brumfield, American photographer and historian of Russian architecture, as part of the "Meeting of Frontiers" project at the Library of Congress. Located on the right (west) bank of the Sukhona across from Velikii Ustiug, the village of Dymkovo Sloboda (its ancient name) was probably settled in the same period as Ustiug. The churches were recorded as constructed of logs in 1383, a date that has led some to suggest that they commemorate Ustiug's role in the great battle of 1380 against Khan Mamai on Snipe Field (Kulikovo pole). The log churches were rebuilt over the centuries, until their replacement by the current churches. Visible here are the east and north facades of the Church of Saint Sergii of Radonezh (on the left), built in 1739-47, and to its north the five-domed Church of Saint Dmitrii Solunskii (Thessalonika), built in 1700-08. The Church of Saint Sergii of Radonezh has altars on two levels, with a longer apse projecting from the lower level (visible through the trees) for worship during the winter. A refectory extends on the west side, and the church culminates in a golden cupola on a tower of ascending octagons.
Type of Item
1 slide : color ; 35 millimeter
Last updated: July 28, 2017