Church of the Intercession (1743, 1761), Interior, View East with Upper Tier of Icon Screen and Nebo ("Sky," or Painted Ceiling), Liadiny, Russia
This interior view of the wooden Church of the Intercession of the Mother of God at the village of Liadiny (Kargopol’ District, Arkhangel'sk Oblast) was taken in 1998 by Dr. William Brumfield, American photographer and historian of Russian architecture, as part of the "Meeting of Frontiers" project at the Library of Congress. The main space of the Church of the Intercession of the Mother of God, built around 1762, contains a partially preserved, four-tiered iconostasis and a superb painted panel ceiling known as a nebo (sky). This view includes the fourth tier--the Prophets Row--of the iconostasis, with an icon of Christ Pantokrator in the center. The painted ceiling is supported by 12 ribs extending at a slight upward tilt toward a central ring, which frames an image of God the Father. The 12 oil-painted panels rest upon the ribs; no nails are used. The main panel of the ceiling is the Crucifixion, placed above the center of the iconostasis. To the left of the Cross stand Mary the Mother of God and Mary Magdalene. To the right are Saint John and Longinus the Centurion. The left panels depict Archangel Michael, Saint Matthew (with the angel), and Archangel Rafael with the youth Tobias. The right panels depict Archangel Gabriel and Saint John (with the eagle). Winged seraphim grace all of the panels. The ceiling corners display images of trumpeting angels.
Type of Item
1 slide : color ; 35 millimeter
Last updated: January 11, 2016