Log Church of the Epiphany (1787), Northeast View with Bell Tower, Oshevensk, Russia
This northeast view of the log Church of the Epiphany at Oshevenskoe (Kargopol' District, Arkhangel'sk Oblast) was taken in 1999 by Dr. William Brumfield, American photographer and historian of Russian architecture, as part of the "Meeting of Frontiers" project at the Library of Congress. Oshevenskoe, located along the right bank of the Chur'iuga River, developed near the Dormition Monastery, which was founded by the monk Alexander Osheven in 1453. This large village consisted of three hamlets, each with its own name. The Church of the Epiphany presided over the hamlet of Pogost, also a term for the sacred territory of an ancient enclosed cemetery. The Church of the Epiphany, built in 1787 on the site of an earlier church, consists of a massive log octagon culminating in a "tent" tower (shatër) and cupola. Attached to the east side of the church is a large rectangular apse (here visible on the left) with two small cupolas to designate altars on the interior. A refectory (trapeznaia) extends from the west side. Standing separately to the northwest of the church is an octagonal bell tower, also with a "tent" roof. Both the tower and the church were covered with whitewashed plank siding in the 19th century. The church interior is remarkable for its iconostasis and painted ceiling. The Church of the Epiphany is now used for worship by the local parish.
Type of Item
1 slide : color ; 35 millimeter
Last updated: January 11, 2016