Wall of Cabana Fortress, Havana
This photochrome view of the parapet of the Castillo de San Carlos de la Cabana in Havana, taken around 1900 by William Henry Jackson (1843-1942), is one of 15 views of Cuba in the catalog of the Detroit Photographic Company. The Detroit Photographic Company was launched as a photographic publishing firm in the late 1890s by Detroit businessman and publisher William A. Livingstone, Jr. and photographer and photo-publisher Edwin H. Husher. They obtained the exclusive rights to use the Swiss "Photochrom" process for converting black-and-white photographs into color images and printing them by photolithography. This process permitted the mass production of color postcards, prints, and albums for sale to the American market. Jackson was employed by the firm, which became the Detroit Publishing Company in 1905, from 1897 to 1924, and was its most well known photographer.
Detroit Publishing Company
Title in Original Language
El parapeto de la Cabana, Habana
Type of Item
Last updated: September 18, 2015