Union Buildings in Pretoria, South Africa
This photograph shows the eastern facade of the Union Buildings in Pretoria, South Africa. These buildings, 285-meters long and built from light sand stone, were designed in the English monumental style by the architect Sir Herbert Baker (1862-1946). The cornerstone was laid in November 1910, shortly after the Union of South Africa was formed. Construction was completed in 1913, at a cost of £1,310,640 for the buildings and £350,000 for the building site. The stamp on the back of the photograph reads: “Alan Yates, 240 Andries str, Pretoria; Commercial photographer no. 27.B.” The photograph is from the Van der Waal Collection at the Department of Library Services at the University of Pretoria, South Africa. The Van der Waal Collection forms part of an archive of South African architecture assembled by architectural historian Dr. Gerhard-Mark van der Waal.
Title in Original Language
Uniegebou in Pretoria, Suid-Afrika
Type of Item
Printed photograph, sepia
Last updated: January 8, 2018