Church of Transfiguration, from Yanidor Village (1702), Northwest View, Reassembled at Khokhlovka Architectural Preserve, Russia
This northwest view of the log Church of the Transfiguration of the Savior from the village of Yanidor (Cherdyn' District, Perm' Region) was taken in 1999 by Dr. William Brumfield, American photographer and historian of Russian architecture, as part of the "Meeting of Frontiers" project at the Library of Congress. Situated on the Sypan River (a northern sub-tributary of the Kama River), Yanidor was once a flourishing village, as the size and beauty of its church indicate. Built in 1702, the Church of the Transfiguration follows the traditional plan of a cuboid central structure, with an apse in the east and a refectory in the west. The refectory is enclosed in a gallery elevated above the snow level on projecting logs (visible here). A covered stairway (reconstructed) provides access to the main level. The central structure, built of tightly fitted notched round pine logs, has a steeply pitched roof capped with decorative "barrel" gables that support a cupola and cross. The cupola is covered in carved aspen shingles. The roofs extend well beyond the walls to protect the structure from moisture accumulation. In 1984-85, this church was restored and reassembled at the Khokhlovka Architecture-Ethnographic Museum, located to the north of Perm’, on the Kama River Reservoir.
Type of Item
1 slide : color ; 35 millimeter
Last updated: January 11, 2016