Franz Joseph's Bridge, Looking Towards the Bridge, Budapest, Hungary, Austro-Hungary
This photochrome print from around 1900 is from “Views of the Austro-Hungarian Empire” in the catalog of the Detroit Publishing Company. It shows the 330-meter long Franz Josef Bridge, which was constructed in 1894-96 as the fourth bridge to span the Danube River in the city of Budapest, the capital of Hungary. The bridge is known today as the Szabadság (Freedom) Bridge. A fifth bridge, the Erzsébet (Elizabeth) Bridge, was built in 1897-1903. The Detroit Photographic Company was launched as a photographic publishing firm in the late 1890s by Detroit businessman and publisher William A. Livingstone, Jr. and photographer and photo-publisher Edwin H. Husher. They obtained the exclusive rights to use the Swiss "Photochrom" process for converting black-and-white photographs into color images and printing them by photolithography. This process permitted the mass production of color postcards, prints, and albums for sale to the American market. The firm became the Detroit Publishing Company in 1905.
Detroit Publishing Company, Detroit, Michigan
Type of Item
1 photomechanical print : photochrom, color
- Print no. "9613".
Last updated: September 4, 2013