Radetzky Memorial, Prague, Bohemia, Austro-Hungary
This late-19th century photochrome print is from “Views of the Austro-Hungarian Empire” in the catalog of the Detroit Publishing Company. It shows the bronze monument to Field Marshal Radetzky, who stands on a shield borne by eight soldiers, holding his baton and a flag. Joseph, Count Radetzky (1766-1858), was a soldier of Czech origin who led many victorious campaigns in the service of the Austro-Hungarian Empire. The monument was erected in 1858, the year of Radetzky’s death. The Detroit Photographic Company was launched as a photographic publishing firm in the late 1890s by Detroit businessman and publisher William A. Livingstone, Jr. and photographer and photo-publisher Edwin H. Husher. They obtained the exclusive rights to use the Swiss "Photochrom" process for converting black-and-white photographs into color images and printing them by photolithography. This process permitted the mass production of color postcards, prints, and albums for sale to the American market. The firm became the Detroit Publishing Company in 1905.
Detroit Publishing Company, Detroit, Michigan
Type of Item
1 photomechanical print : photochrom, color
- Title from the Detroit Publishing Co., Catalogue J--foreign section, Detroit, Mich. : Detroit Publishing Company, 1905.
Last updated: September 4, 2013