Devin and the Danube River, Southwest Slovakia, near Austrian Border, Austro-Hungary


This photochrome print is from “Views of the Austro-Hungarian Empire,” a selection of photographs of late 19th-century tourist sites in Eastern and Central Europe (formerly known as the Austro-Hungarian Empire) that was part of the catalog of the Detroit Publishing Company. It depicts Devín Castle, located on a bluff in southwestern Slovakia, at the confluence of the Morava and Danube rivers. The castle was an important military fortress of Great Moravia, a Slavic state that in the first half of the 8th century covered parts of present-day Moravia, western Slovakia, and adjacent areas. In 1809, Napoleon’s troops blew up the castle. For many generations of Slovaks, Devín Castle has been a symbol of the beginnings of Slovak history.

Subject Date

Publication Information

Detroit Publishing Company


Additional Subjects

Type of Item

Physical Description

1 photomechanical print : photochrom, color

Last updated: April 18, 2012