Church of the Icon of the Mother of God, from Tokhtarevo Village (1694), East Facade. Reassembled at Khokhlovka Architectural Preserve, Russia.
This photograph of the northeast view of the log Church of the Mother of God from the village of Tokhtarevo (Suksun District, Perm' Region) was taken in 1999 by Dr. William Brumfield, American photographer and historian of Russian architecture, as part of the "Meeting of Frontiers" project at the Library of Congress. Situated on the Sylva River (a southern tributary of the Kama River), Tokhtarevo was once a flourishing village, as the size and beauty of its church indicate. Built in 1694, the church at Tokhtarevo follows the traditional plan of a cuboid central structure, with an apse in the east (visible here) and a refectory with an attached bell tower in the west (visible in background). The apse is three-sided with round notched pine logs tightly fitted, as in the rest of the structure. The apse culminates in a "barrel" gable covered in aspen shingles and surmounted with a small cupola and cross (to signify the primary altar within the apse). The main structure has a steeply pitched roof, and is also capped with a cupola and cross. At the base of the gable and roof are slanted projections that protect the walls beneath from moisture accumulation. In 1980-81, the church was restored and reassembled at the Khokhlovka Architecture-Ethnographic Museum, located to the north of Perm’, on the Kama River Reservoir.
Type of Item
1 slide : color ; 35 millimeter
Last updated: January 11, 2016