Drissa River. Confluence with the Western Dvina. Drissa
Sergei Mikhailovich Prokudin-Gorskii (1863–1944) was a pioneer in the development of color photography. In the early 1900s, he formulated an ambitious plan to carry out a photographic survey of the Russian Empire. After gaining the support of Tsar Nicholas II, between 1909 and 1915 he completed surveys of 11 regions, traveling in a specially equipped railroad car provided by the Ministry of Transportation. Prokudin-Gorskii created the glass plate negatives for this photograph on his 1911–12 photographic survey of sites associated with Napoleon’s 1812 invasion of Russia. It depicts the Drissa River, located in the northern part of present-day Belarus, at the point where it joins the Western Dvina River. Also shown are a few houses in the village of Drissa. Some 180 kilometers long, the Drissa is connected to many lakes. The area around the river is relatively flat and abundant with marshes, waterways, and forests.
Title in Original Language
Река Дрисса. Впадение в Западную Двину. Дрисса
Type of Item
Glass negative (presented as a digital color composite)
- Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographic work survives primarily in two forms: 1,901 black-and-white triple-frame glass plate negatives, made with color separation filters, which Prokudin-Gorskii used to make color prints and lantern slides; and 12 albums of sepia-tone prints, made from the glass negatives, which Prokudin-Gorskii compiled as a record of his travels and studies. The Library of Congress purchased the glass plate negatives and the albums from the Prokudin-Gorskii family in 1948. In 2004, the Library of Congress had digital color composites made from all the surviving glass negatives using a software algorithm to automatically align the color components. As with most historical photographs, title and subject identifications are corrected and enhanced through new research. Current information on the collection is at http://www.loc.gov/pictures/collection/prok/.
Last updated: November 7, 2017