Cathedral, Carthage, Tunisia
This photochrome print of the Cathedral of Saint Louis, in Carthage, is part of “Views of Architecture and People in Tunisia” from the catalog of the Detroit Photographic Company. The cathedral was built in 1884-90 and named after Louis IX, a French king who died in the siege of Tunis in 1270. At the time of construction, Tunisia was a French protectorate. The church was built on Byrsa Hill, the castle hill of the ancient city of Carthage. Under a 1964 agreement between the Vatican and the Republic of Tunisia, the Cathedral of Saint Louis was transferred to the Tunisian state for public use, and is now a cultural center. The Detroit Photographic Company was launched as a photographic publishing firm in the late 1890s by Detroit businessman and publisher William A. Livingstone, Jr. and photographer and photo-publisher Edwin H. Husher. They obtained the exclusive rights to use the Swiss "Photochrom" process for converting black-and-white photographs into color images and printing them by photolithography. This process permitted the mass production of color postcards, prints, and albums for sale to the American market.
Detroit Photographic Company, Detroit, Michigan
Title in Original Language
The Cathedral, Carthage, Tunisia
Type of Item
1 photomechanical print : photochrom, color
- Title from the Detroit Publishing Co., Catalogue F--Scenic, Architectural and Marine Views, Detroit, Mich. : Detroit Photographic Co., 1899.
Last updated: September 20, 2016