Noblemen's Assembly (1830), West Facade, Perm', Russia
This photograph of the former Noblemen's Assembly (Dvor'ianskoe sobranie) at No. 20 Sibirskaia (now Karl Marx) Street in Perm' was taken in 1999 by Dr. William Brumfield, American photographer and historian of Russian architecture, as part of the "Meeting of Frontiers" project at the Library of Congress. Established in the 1720s as a factory settlement on the middle reaches of the Kama River, Perm’ (so named in 1781) is the largest metropolis on the European side of the Urals. Before the 1917 revolution, it had a significant concentration of landed nobility. This elegant neoclassical structure of stuccoed brick was designed for their use by the prominent local architect Ivan Sviiazev, who was born a serf of Princess V.A. Shakhovskaia (née Stroganova). The main (west) façade is centered on an Ionic portico of six white columns, while the side façade, on Voznesenskaia Street, has a more modest Doric portico that frames the primary entrance. Each portico culminates in a pediment in an understated style developed during the late 18th century by Giacomo Quarenghi. This building, which has served a number of cultural purposes, exists in a rapidly changing urban environment, as indicated by the advertisements and the background apartment tower on Lunacharskaia Street.
Type of Item
1 slide : color ; 35 millimeter
Last updated: January 11, 2016