Rear Façade of the Clinics Seen from the Yard
This photograph is from Imperatorskii Tomskii universitet, 1880‒1892 (The Imperial Tomsk University, 1880‒1892), an album that documents the formative years of the Imperial Tomsk University (the predecessor of present-day Tomsk State University), the oldest institution of higher learning in Siberia. Tsar Alexander II signed a decree on the establishment of the university on May 28, 1878, and construction began a little over two years later. The first classes, in the medical faculty, began in 1888. The album contains 83 photographs with interior and exterior views of the university’s buildings, including the main administrative building, lecture halls, dormitories and dining halls, the library, botanical museum, university church, as well as the greenhouse and the university farm. The album ends with two photographs showing the ceremony at which the cornerstone of the first university building was laid on August 26, 1880. The photographs are preceded by 12 pages of text providing detailed explanations of all the images, as well as several tables. One table contains a list of all the buildings, their dimensions, dates of construction, cost of construction, and other information. The album is preserved in the National Library of Russia and was digitized for the Meeting of Frontiers digital library project in the early 2000s.
Title in Original Language
Задний фасад клиник, со стороны двора
Type of Item
Last updated: February 6, 2018