Irkutsk Corner of Bol'shaia and Ivanovskaia Streets). Chapel of Christ the Savior in Memory of Emperor Alexander II's Escape from the Attempt on His Life on April 4, 1866. Dedicated on August 30, 1870
This view is from of an album of photographs and prints showing highlights of the city of Irkutsk and its surrounding region in the late 19th century. Irkutsk was at that time the center of Siberian cultural and intellectual life. The buildings shown include the Museum of Regional Studies, a technical school, orphanage, hotels, and the Church of Our Lady of Kazan. Other photographs in the album show the suburb of Glazkovo and villages in the Irkutsk region, including one on the shores of Lake Baikal. The album also includes photographs of the native Buriat people, who are Buddhist, and the local Buddhist datsan (university monastery). The album contains 20 photographs and, at the end, three prints. The prints are of drawings showing the natural beauty of the region. The subjects of the photographs are recorded in ink on the back of each image. The album is preserved in the National Library of Russia and was digitized for the Meeting of Frontiers digital library project in the early 2000s.
Title in Original Language
Иркутск. (угол Большой и Ивановской улиц). Часовня во имя Христа Спасителя в память избавления Императора Александра II от угрожавшей ему 4 апреля 1866 г. опасности. Освящена 30 августа 1870 г.
Type of Item
Last updated: February 6, 2018