The Thereza Christina Maria Collection consists of 21,742 photographs assembled by Emperor Pedro II and left by him to the National Library of Brazil. The collection covers a vast range of subjects. It documents the achievements of Brazil and the Brazilian people in the 19th century, as well as includes many photographs from Europe, Africa, and North America. This 1894 photograph shows part of a fortification on Villegagnon Island, which is located near the entrance to Guanabara Bay, Rio de Janeiro. The island is named in honor of French Admiral Nicolas de Villegaignon, whose forces first occupied it in 1555. The fortress on the island was the scene of a rebellion by parts of the Brazilian Navy against President Floriano Peixoto in 1893.
Type of Item
Last updated: February 12, 2016