A Drawing Showing that Portion of Lake Baikal, Where Boats Loaded with Lead Traverse Between the Mouths of the Rivers Selenga and Angara
The map shown here, centered on the southern portion of Lake Baikal, highlights the route of ships that carried shipments of lead between two major rivers on opposite sides of the lake, the Angara and Selenga. It was drawn in 1799 by two geological and mining specialists, Frolov and Kopylov, who were members of the Nerchinsk Expedition and compiled a series of regional maps. This map is oriented to the southern and southeastern portions of the lake, with the Angara River on the lower right (and the main regional city of Irkutsk toward the bottom) and the Selenga River on the other shore toward the upper left. Major shipping routes are indicated by red and blue solid lines, with standard directional arrows. The map includes a detailed representation of the southern shores of Lake Baikal. Rivers and creeks that flow into the lake are named, as are small bays and inlets, as well as towns. Measurements of lake depth are provided in a cross-section toward the lower left of the map that correlates by line to the appropriate geographic location on the lake surface. A map legend indicates water depth in sazhens, a unit of measurement equal to 2.13 meters. Land relief is represented by hachures and shading, with vegetation and forests indicated by shading as well. The map legend indicates distance in versts, a tsarist-era unit of length equal to 1.07 kilometers. An explanatory text is provided in the upper-left corner that explains some regional geography and variations in shipping routes depending upon prevailing winds.
Title in Original Language
Чертёж, представляющий ту часть озера Байкал, где проходятпути судов со свинцоммежду устьями рек Селенги и Ангары
Type of Item
1 map : color ; 60 x 60 centimeters
Last updated: February 7, 2018