From the Community of Saint Tikhon in North America, an Appeal
The document presented here is a letter, printed by the Russian Holy Synod in Moscow in 1907, which was used in a fundraising appeal for the construction of Saint Tikhon’s Orthodox Monastery in South Canaan, Pennsylvania. The idea for establishing a monastery in North America came from Father Arsenii (born Arseny Chagovtsov, 1866–1945), a gifted preacher and missionary who arrived in the United States from Russia in 1902, and from Bishop Tikhon (born Vasilii Ivanovich Bellavin, 1865–1925), the head of the Russian Orthodox Church in North America. At that time, a wave of immigrants from Slavic countries arriving in Pennsylvania and New York State increased the need for Orthodox parishes and educational institutions in the region. In 1905 the church purchased land for the monastery and established a community dedicated to Saint Tikhon of Zadonsk, with Arsenii as its hegumen (superior). At the time of the writing of this letter, the community had several novice monks and had constructed a refectory and chapel but it was asking for funds to build a church and several other buildings. Thanks to contributions from the local Orthodox community and from abroad, Saint Tikhon’s grew and a seminary was established in addition to the monastery. Today, Saint Tikhon’s is the oldest Orthodox monastery in North America. The letter was digitized at the National Library of Russia in the early 2000s for the Meeting of Frontiers digital library project.
Russian Holy Synod, Moscow
Title in Original Language
От Св. Тихоновской Обители в Северной Америке. Воззвание
Type of Item
1 sheet ; 37 x 27 centimeters
Last updated: December 11, 2017