Annual Report of the Board of Directors of the Russian-American Company, Through January 1, 1849


In 1799, Emperor Paul I of Russia granted a charter to establish the Russian-American Company. The company was an outgrowth of the Shelikhov-Golikov Company, a fur-trading venture founded in 1783 by Grigorii Ivanovich Shelikhov (1747–95) and Ivan Larionovich Golikov, and of several other companies. In 1784, Shelikhov founded the first permanent Russian settlement in Alaska, at Three Saints Bay on Kodiak Island. Although primarily a commercial entity, the Russian-American Company took on the responsibilities of Russian colonial government and became an outpost in the Pacific for the Imperial Court in Saint Petersburg. The focus of the company remained on fur, however, as it maintained some 40 trading locations throughout Alaska. Among the company’s most notable accomplishments was the establishment of Fort Ross in northern California, which was inhabited from 1812–42 and was a center of Russian colonial activity. In 1867, when the United States purchased Alaska from the Russian Empire, ending Russia’s colonial presence in North America, the Russian-American Company was sold to an American business and from 1868 it operated as the Alaska Commercial Company. Throughout its history, the Russian-American Company kept detailed records of its work and published annual reports on its finances, the fur trade, the movement of people from Russia to North America, and company accomplishments. In some years the reports also included maps of new territories explored or new settlements established.

Date Created

Publication Information

St. Petersburg


Title in Original Language

Отчетъ Россiйско - Американской компанiи Главнаго правленiя за одинъ годъ, по 1 января 1849 года

Type of Item

Physical Description

40 pages : maps ; 24 x 17 centimeters


  • "Mercator's map of Kodiak Archipelago," "Shelikhof Strait," "Sakhlidok Strait," "Southern part of Kodiak Island," "Southeastern part of Kodiak Island," " Igaksky Bay," "Southern part of Afogilka Island," " Spruce Island," " Forest Island," "Chiniak Bay," and "Cape Chiniak." These maps were commissioned by the Russian-American Company in 1849.

Last updated: October 30, 2017