S. John Del Rey Mining Company: Morro Velho
The Thereza Christina Maria collection is composed of 21,742 photos assembled by Emperor Pedro II (1825-91) throughout his life and donated by him to the National Library of Brazil. The collection covers a wide variety of subjects. It documents the achievements of Brazil and Brazilians in the 19th century and also includes many photographs of Europe, Africa, and North America. The São João Del Rei mine was a British-owned mine in the Brazilian gold mining province of Minas Gerais. The mine, established in 1834, dominated the economic, social, and political life of the neighboring town of Novo Lima. The company imported 150 British families to Brazil to work for the company. The mine was photographed by Augusto Riedel during an expedition into the interior of Brazil with the son-in-law of Emperor Pedro II, Luis Augusto, Duke of Saxe.
Nova Lima, Brazil
Type of Item
1 photo : albumen paper, black and white ; 21.7 x 27.2 centimeters
Last updated: May 24, 2017