General Maps of Fujian Province
Fujian quan sheng zong tu (General maps of Fujian Province) is a printed edition dating from the Daoguang reign (1820‒50) of the Qing dynasty. The maps of Fujian in the book are drawn clearly and in great detail. The work consists of 24 leaves, of which 18 are maps. The first map, entitled Fujian quan tu (General map of Fujian), concentrates on the main points. The upper-right side notation reads: Each square represents 200 miles (322 kilometers). The map stretches to Jilong Mountain on the east and Shamaji (with Cape Eluanbi) on the southeast. The entire area is 2,500 miles (4,023 kilometers) from east to west and 2,600 miles (4,184 kilometers) from north to south. The next group of maps, 12 in total, is entitled Fujian shi fu er zhou shan xian shui dao guan yi gu zhai jiang yu zhi tu (Maps of ten prefectures, two departments, and the territories of their mountains, waterways, passes, and ancient strongholds). The ten prefectures are Fuzhou, Xinghua, Quanzhou, Zhangzhou, Yanping, Jianning, Shaowu, Tingzhou, Funing, and Taiwan. The two departments are Yongchun and Longyan. The central column of each leaf bears the name of the prefecture or department, such as Fuzhou Sheng or Yongchun Zhou, and also has the page number at the bottom. At the time Taiwan was still included in Fujian Province, despite the stretch of ocean between it and the mainland. The calculation of its size was not known. Each prefecture or department is represented by a map, with the area measured by miles per square. The scale measurements vary. On the maps of the prefectures of Fuzhou and Zhangzhou, each square is 30 miles (48.28 kilometers); on those of Xinghua and Quanzhou it is 20 miles (32.19 kilometers); on Shaowu it is 15 miles (24.14 kilometers); and on the map of Yongchun Department each square represents ten miles (16.09 kilometers). On the upper-right corner of each map the area size of the location is recorded, and on the upper-left corner is recorded the distance in miles to the capital and/or the provincial seat. On the four borders and four corners of each map the length of the boundary is given. Three Fujian coastal-defense maps follow. The first is called Fujian hai fang tu (Fujian coastal defense), which marks each port along the coast. The ocean is drawn in seashell shapes, while the land is drawn in squares. On the top left is a lengthy explanation. The second map is Xing Quan Zhang hai fang tu (Coastal defense maps of Xinghua, Quanzhou, and Zhangzhou), with three blank squares on the upper left. The third map is Funing hai fang tu (Funing coastal defense). The second and third maps have no explanations. The last part of this work consists of two maps under the title Taiwan hai kou da xiao gang dao zong tu (General map of Taiwan seaports of various sizes). One of the maps depicts the area from outside Langqiao in the south to Wanggongfan in the north, equivalent to the present-day Hengchun to Wanggong Port in Zhanghua, which forms Taiwan South. The second map depicts the area from Lugang (Lukang) to Kemalanting (Yilan Plain), representing Taiwan North. Only the west-coast waterways are depicted; none of the east-coast waterways are shown. A brief notation on the upper-left corner alongside Touwei reads: “This port was opened in the sixth year (1826) of the Daoguang reign,” which confirms that this copy was printed during the Daoguang reign. It was originally in Liang Shaofu’s collection; a square seal impression in red with his name can be found in the work.
Title in Original Language
Type of Item
Last updated: October 30, 2017