A Brief Description of the Holy Sepulchre, Jerusalem, and Other Christian Churches in the Holy City

Description

This account of the church of Holy Sepulchre was based on notes the author, architect George Jeffery (1855–1935), made some few years earlier, which first appeared in 1910 in the Journal of the Royal Institute of British Architects. The book is in four parts. The first covers the history of the church, from early Christianity through the Middle Ages and into modern times. Part II is a description of the monument and the nearby Augustinian convent. It includes information based on archaeological discoveries of early vestiges of the church as well as contemporary observations. Part III deals with the lesser shrines of Jerusalem, including those within the city walls as well as the suburban churches. The final part of the book is about the medieval reproductions of the Holy Sepulchre in different parts of Europe, including the Church of Santo Stefano in Bologna, Italy, and the Church of Vera Cruz at Segovia, Spain. The book is illustrated with a total of 57 plans and drawings of the Holy Sepulchre, showing many stages of its construction. It concludes with an index and detailed chronological tables on pages 220‒28. Among the tables is an ecclesiastical chronology of Jerusalem from 333 to 1733, in addition to a chronology of the civil government of Jerusalem from 333 until the Turkish occupation in 1517. This book was published in 1919 by the Cambridge University Press. George Jeffery was active in the preservation of ancient buildings in many places in the Near East and Middle East, most notably in Cyprus, where for about the last 30 years of his life he was the curator of ancient monuments.

Date Created

Subject Date

Publication Information

University Press, Cambridge

Language

Type of Item

Physical Description

228 pages : illustrations ; 23 centimeters

Notes

  • First appeared in the Journal of the Royal Institute of British Architects in 1910

References

  1. Keith Emerick, “British Conservation Practice in Cyprus, 1878 to 1939: a Case Study,” in his Conserving and Managing Ancient monuments: Heritage, Democracy, and Inclusion (Woodbridge, U.K.; Boydell Press for The International Centre for Cultural & Heritage Studies, Newcastle University).

Last updated: October 30, 2017