Fort Reno, Oklahoma Territory, 1891
This panoramic map shows Fort Reno, Oklahoma Territory, as it appeared in 1891. Fort Reno was established as a U.S. military camp in 1874 during the American Indian Wars, and was named in honor of Major General Jesse L. Reno, who died in the American Civil War in 1862. The military camp remained fully functional until shortly after Oklahoma achieved statehood in 1907. The map shows the orderly layout of the camp. An index at the bottom of the map indicates the purpose of the buildings, which include barracks and officers’ quarters, store houses, shops (including bakery, butcher, and blacksmith), and service facilities such as stables, laundry, post office, latrines, and two hospitals. Beyond the camp, a train traverses a railroad, labeled “Chocktaw Railroad.” On the far side of the tracks are a cluster of tepees. The panoramic map was a cartographic form in popular use to depict U.S. and Canadian cities and towns in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Also known as bird’s-eye views or perspective maps, these works are representations of cities portrayed as if viewed from above at an oblique angle. Not generally drawn to scale, they show street patterns, individual buildings, and major landscape features in perspective. This map is by Thaddeus Mortimer Fowler (1842–1922), one of the most prolific makers of panoramic maps. Fowler was born in Lowell, Massachusetts, and fought and was wounded in the American Civil War. After working for an uncle who was a photographer, in 1870 he established his own panoramic map firm. Over the course of a long career, Fowler made panoramic maps of cities in 21 states and parts of Canada.
T. M. Fowler & James B. Moyer, Morrisville, Pennsylvania
Type of Item
1 map ; 24 x 59 centimeters
Last updated: August 1, 2017