Map of Quebec City


Plan de la ville de Québec (Map of Quebec City) is by cartographer, author, and illustrator Georges-Louis Le Rouge (born 1712), royal geographer to King Louis XV. The map shows the Upper and Lower Towns of Quebec City near the confluence of the Saint Lawrence and Saint Charles Rivers. It has an index that indicates the location of churches, hospitals, redoubts, gardens, and batteries in and around the city. Located on the Saint Lawrence River, Quebec was an administrative, military, and commercial hub, as well as a religious center that was home to a cathedral, bishop’s palace, seminary, and Jesuit mission. Originally established in 1608 by the French explorer Samuel de Champlain on the same site as a fort built by Jacques Cartier in 1535, Quebec became the capital of New France. In the Battle of Quebec (June‒September 1759), one of the culminating struggles of the Seven Years’ War (1756‒63), the French under the Marquis de Montcalm were forced to surrender the city to an invading British force led by General James Wolfe. Four years later, France ceded most of its Canadian possessions in North America to Great Britain. Quebec City is one of the oldest cities in Canada and, indeed, within all of North America. The map is oriented with north to the right. Relief is shown by hachures. Scale is indicated in toises, an old French unit measuring about 1.95 meters. The map is from the Rochambeau Collection at the Library of Congress, which consists of 40 manuscript maps, 26 printed maps, and a manuscript atlas that belonged to Jean-Baptiste-Donatien de Vimeur, comte de Rochambeau (1725‒1807), commander in chief of the French expeditionary army (1780‒82) during the American Revolution. Some of the maps were used by Rochambeau during the war. Dating from 1717 to 1795, the maps cover much of eastern North America, from Newfoundland and Labrador in the north to Haiti in the south. The collection includes maps of cities, maps showing Revolutionary War battles and military campaigns, and early state maps from the 1790s.

Last updated: February 18, 2016