Water Supply Works in Rio de Janeiro: Santa Teresa Reservoir
The Thereza Christina Maria collection is composed of 21,742 photos assembled by Emperor Pedro II (1825-91) throughout his life and donated by him to the National Library of Brazil. The collection covers a wide variety of subjects. It documents the achievements of Brazil and Brazilians in the 19th century and also includes many photographs of Europe, Africa, and North America. This photograph shows the Santa Tereza Reservoir, part of the Rio de Ouro Waterworks, photographed by Marc Ferrez (1843-1923). The system carried water from the Tinqua Mountains to the Pedregulho Reservoir near the Ponta do Caju. Emperor Pedro II inaugurated the system in 1880, but it did not begin functioning until 1883.
Rio de Janeiro
Title in Original Language
Obras do abastecimento d'agua do Rio de Janeiro: Reservatorio de Santa Thereza
Type of Item
1 photo : collodium, black and white ; 18.9 x 25.1 centimeters
Last updated: July 8, 2014