Santa Teresa: A View
The Thereza Christina Maria collection is composed of 21,742 photos assembled by Emperor Pedro II (1825-91) throughout his life and donated by him to the National Library of Brazil. The collection covers a wide variety of subjects. It documents the achievements of Brazil and Brazilians in the 19th century and also includes many photographs of Europe, Africa, and North America. This view of the area surrounding the Church of Our Lady of Lapa was photographed by Rafael Castro y Ordonez during the Scientific Commission of the Pacific. The church, built by Carmelite nuns in the 1750s, gave its name to the neighborhood that grew around it. During much of its history, Lapa was the residence of Rio de Janeiro’s bohemians and is today a popular tourist area. The church still stands in Lapa, although its current neo-baroque façade looks quite different from the simple, whitewashed original.
Rio de Janeiro
Title in Original Language
Santa Thereza: vista
Type of Item
1 photo : albumen paper, black and white ; 18.7 x 24.1 centimeters
Last updated: September 18, 2015