Public Promenade: View 1
The Thereza Christina Maria collection is composed of 21,742 photos assembled by Emperor Pedro II (1825-91) throughout his life and donated by him to the National Library of Brazil. The collection covers a wide variety of subjects. It documents the achievements of Brazil and Brazilians in the 19th century and also includes many photographs of Europe, Africa, and North America. The Passeio Publico, which was built in 1779 and opened to the public in 1793, is the oldest park in Brazil and one of the oldest in the Americas. The park was originally designed in the French formal style by Valentim da Fonseca e Silva. It featured two granite pyramids and several pavilions, which were decorated with oval paintings by Leandro Joaquim. These paintings were the first landscape paintings of Brazil. The park was redesigned in the more natural, “English” style starting in 1864, but the Rococo-style iron gates remain. The park was photographed by Rafael Castro y Ordonez as part of the Scientific Commission of the Pacific.
Rio de Janeiro
Title in Original Language
Passeio Público: vista 1
Type of Item
1 photo : albumen paper, black and white ; 19.8 x 25.8 centimeters
Last updated: September 18, 2015