The Kingdom of Ireland, Divided as Much into the Main Regions of Ulster, Connacht, Leinster and Munster
This hand-colored map of Ireland was published in 1715 by the firm of Nuremberg engraver and publisher Johann Baptist Homann (1663–1724). It is based on earlier works by Nicolaes Visscher (1649-1702), of the second of three generations of Visschers who were art dealers and map publishers in Amsterdam, and Sir William Petty (1623–87), the pioneering English political economist who directed the nationwide cadastral survey of Ireland carried out under Oliver Cromwell in 1656–58. The map is in Latin, but place-names are in English and the original Celtic renderings into English. It has a decorative title cartouche and a scale cartouche. Four distance scales are provided: German, French, English, and Irish miles. Different colors are used to show the four historic provinces of Ireland: Connaught, Leinster, Munster, and Ulster. The map shows the counties and baronies within the provinces, archbishoprics, cities and towns, major roads, and other geographic features. The decorative cartouche in the lower right containing the distance scales shows men engaged in two forms of economic activity, fishing and agriculture. The cartouche is crowned by the British royal coat of arms, consisting of a shield supported by a lion and a unicorn and surrounded by a garter with the Anglo-Norman maxim honi soit qui mal y pense (shamed be he who thinks evil of it).
Johann Baptist Homann, Nuremberg
Title in Original Language
Hiberniæ Regnum Tam in præcipuas Ultoniæ, Connaciæ, Laceniæ et Momoniæ, Quam in Minores Earundem Provincias et Ditiones Divisum
Type of Item
1 map : color ; 54.4 x 46 centimeters
Last updated: April 13, 2016