The Battery at a Fort in Bahia
The Thereza Christina Maria collection is composed of 21,742 photos assembled by Emperor Pedro II (1825-91) throughout his life and donated by him to the National Library of Brazil. The collection covers a wide variety of subjects. It documents the achievements of Brazil and Brazilians in the 19th century and also includes many photographs of Europe, Africa, and North America. The Fort of San Marcelo, also known as the Sea Fort, is located on a slab of land in the Bay of All Saints off the coast of Bahia State. The fort was constructed by the Portuguese in the mid-17th century to protect the port city of Salvador, then the capital of Brazil, which the Portuguese had recently reclaimed from the Dutch. The fort is circular, and built of sandstone. For much of the 20th century, the National Institute of Historic and Artistic Sites (IPHAN) carried out archeological and reconstructive work at the fort. Today the fort is open to the public and is a popular tourist attraction.
Title in Original Language
A bateria do forte da Bahia
Type of Item
1 photo : albumen paper, black and white ; 13.7 x 25.8 centimeters
Last updated: September 18, 2015