Crown of Roses, Issue 13, August 1905
Klílā d-warde (Crown of roses) was a magazine issued in Mosul (present-day Iraq) between August 1904 and July 1908. It was published by the Dominican Fathers, in the neo-Aramaic language using an East Syriac script, which was common to the Chaldean Catholics of the region. It contained devotional articles, with occasional coverage of cultural topics. The magazine was produced by a small staff of clergy based in Mosul. The Dominican presence in the city goes back to 1750, when Pope Benedict XIV sent a group of Italian friars to establish a church and to provide for the needs of Chaldean Catholics. The Italians soon were replaced by French Dominicans, who in 1856 established a press in order to produce school texts, spiritual works, and Arabic literary works. Dominican printing continued in Mosul until 1914. In all, 48 issues of Klílā d-warde were published. The complete run is preserved in the Iraqi National Library and Archives.
Dominican Press, Mosul, Iraq
Title in Original Language
Type of Item
16 pages ; 18 x 12 centimeters
- Michael Albin, “Preliminary bibliography of Arabic books printed by the Dominican Fathers in Mosul,” MIDEO: Melanges de l’Institut dominicain d’etudes orientales, 16 (1983).
- J.F. Coakley and David Taylor, Syriac Books Printed at the Dominican Press, Mosul (Piscataway, New Jersey: Gorgias Press, 2009).
- Jean-Maurice Fiev, “L’Imprimerie des dominicains de Mossoul,” ARAM Periodical 5, numbers 1−2, 1993.
Last updated: September 18, 2014