Map of Lango District, Eastern Province
This map of the Lango District in the Eastern Province of Uganda was issued in 1945 by the Department of Surveys of the Uganda Protectorate. Shown are district, provincial, and county boundaries; district and county headquarters; towns and trading centers; roads of different capacities; and post offices and telegraph lines. The map contains several handwritten additions and corrections in red and blue pencil. The Lango District was the traditional homeland of the Lango or Langi people, who inhabit the marshy region northeast of Lakes Kwania and Kyoga in northern Uganda. Both lakes are shown. Part of the northern border of the district was formed by the Aswa River, which flows northward into present-day South Sudan and eventually joins the White Nile. The region to the north of the river is labeled on the map as “uninhabited.” After independence, the districts of the Uganda Protectorate were divided into smaller administrative units, and the former Lango District now consists of Apac, Lira, and several other districts. The scale of the map is 1:250,000.
Type of Item
1 map ; 74 x 79 centimeters
- From the Uganda National Fisheries Resources Research Institute. Digitized at the National Library of Uganda with support from the Carnegie Corporation of New York.
Last updated: March 24, 2015