Street Plan of the Centre of Kampala
This map shows the center of Kampala, today the capital and largest city of Uganda, as it appeared in 1956 during the late colonial period. Depicted on the map are roads and streets; government and commercial buildings; schools; churches and mosques; the headquarters of the Uganda Society; and other buildings and sites. Kampala lies just north of Mengo, the capital of the Kingdom of Buganda in the 19th century, and it was selected by British colonial administrator Captain Frederick Lugard in 1890 as the headquarters of the Imperial British East Africa Company. Shown in the lower-left-hand corner of the map is Lugard’s fort, which was the administrative headquarters of the Imperial British East Africa Company and later the Uganda Protectorate until 1905. The colonial capital then was moved to Entebbe. In 1962, Kampala became the national capital of the newly independent state of Uganda. The map shows the Nakasero, old Kampala and part of Kololo areas of Kampala which made up the city then. It has now expanded to include a large part of the surrounding countryside. The scale is given as one inch to circa 160 yards, or approximately 1:5,760.
Uganda. Survey, Land, and Mines Department, Entebbe, Uganda
Type of Item
1 map ; 52 x 59 centimeters
- From the Uganda National Fisheries Resources Research Institute. Digitized at the National Library of Uganda with support from the Carnegie Corporation of New York.
Last updated: June 19, 2017