This map of Bugondo is a 1976 reprint, with minor alterations, of a map originally issued in 1963 by the Uganda Department of Lands and Surveys, based on aerial photography carried out in December 1959−January 1960 by the Department of Technical Cooperation (Directorate of Overseas Surveys) of the British government. Uganda was a British protectorate from the 1890s until independence in 1962. Bugondo Sub-County is located in the southwestern part of Soroti District and is bordered on the north and west by Lake Kyoga and Lake Kojweri. Sites indicated on this extremely detailed map include a cotton market, cotton stores, an agricultural experimental station, and a leper colony. Individual huts are identified by small dots. Also shown are physical features, including transport infrastructure, swampland, plantations, and scrub and woodland. An index grid in the lower left identifies adjoining sheets to this survey map. The scale of the map is 1:50,000.
Uganda. Department of Lands and Surveys, Entebbe, Uganda
Title in Original Language
Bugondo, Uganda, 1: 50,000
Type of Item
1 map ; 82 x 64 centimeters
- From the Uganda National Fisheries Resources Research Institute. Digitized at the National Library of Uganda with support from the Carnegie Corporation of New York.
Last updated: June 19, 2017