Sese, Uganda, Africa
This map of Sese, an archipelago in the northwestern part of Lake Victoria, Uganda, was issued in July 1938 by the Land and Survey Office of the Uganda Protectorate, based on a survey carried out in 1936 by the protectorate’s director of surveys. The map shows roads and tracks on the larger islands, forested regions, and towns and villages. Trigonometrical points from the survey and their heights above sea level in feet are indicated. Many of the islands are marked as uninhabited. The start of the road to Kampala, located some 80 kilometers to the northeast, is indicated in the upper-left-hand corner of the map. The scale is 1:250,000. The Sese Islands (also seen as Ssese) historically were inhabited by the Bassese, a Bantu tribe, and were part of the Kingdom of Buganda, the largest of the Ugandan kingdoms. The main economic activities were fishing for the giant Nile perch, and agriculture. The largest of the 84 islands in the archipelago is Bugala, more than 40 kilometers long. The smallest islands in the group are little more than uninhabited outcroppings of rock. The heading “Tanganyika Territory” below the map refers to a trusteeship under British control in the lands that became present-day Tanzania.
Uganda. Land and Survey Office, Entebbe, Uganda
Title in Original Language
Sese, Uganda, Africa, 1:250,000
Type of Item
1 map ; 67 x 59 centimeters
- From the Uganda National Fisheries Resources Research Institute. Digitized at the National Library of Uganda with support from the Carnegie Corporation of New York.
Last updated: June 19, 2017