This manuscript is an undated poem by ‘Ali ibn ‘Abd al-Haqq al-Qusi (1788−1877). The poem is a qasidah (lyric poem). The author was from al-Qus, a town in Upper Egypt. He studied there and at al-Azhar in Cairo. After early travels, he settled in Asyut, a town on the Nile approximately 320 kilometers south of Cairo, where he taught for the rest of his life. His known writings include works of religion and astronomy. This qasidah, of which an autograph copy is held in the library of King Saud University in Saudi Arabia, is his only surviving poem. None of al-Qusi’s books have been edited in critical editions. The copy represented here is written in a clear naskh script. The copyist is not known and the place and date of copying are not given.
Title in Original Language
Type of Item
2 pages ; 23 x 16 centimeters
- Khayr al-Din al-Zirikli, Al-A’lam (Beirut: Dar al-‘Ilm lil-Malayin, 1980).
Last updated: August 24, 2016