This illuminated folio with Metz Gothic musical notation comes from the liturgical codex of Canon Jan Han, who was a client of the Bratislava Chapter and the purchaser of this antiphonary. The illuminated initial “S” (Sanctum) with the first two martyrs of the Christian Church, Saint Stephen and Saint Lawrence, accompanied by Saint Vitus, is supplemented by the label Illorum effusus nos in patientia firmet (Their patience enabled us to stream forth), which dates the fragment to 1487. The bottom part of the acanthus decoration on the left margin contains the motif of the marten and the bird; typical plants are complemented with hallmarked gold targets. These signs make it possible to identify the studio where the manuscript was made. In this period, the Bratislava Chapter and some burghers ordered illuminated manuscripts from the Salzburg painter Ulrich Schreier, who was working in Vienna and Klosterneuburg at that time. A number of the illuminated manuscripts of Bratislava clients of Schreier indicate that he may even have operated a workshop in Bratislava. The illuminated codices from the library of the Bratislava Chapter House were inscribed in the Memory of the World Register of UNESCO in 1997.
Type of Item
1 folio : parchment ; 485 x 334 millimeters
Last updated: May 25, 2017