Pericope (Sections) from Saint Erentrud. Gospels for the Mass According to the Usual Rite, Preceding the Capitular Gospels
This book, which contains the “lessons,” or portions of scripture appointed to be read at divine service, was written around the year 1150, probably in Salzburg, a diocesan town situated near what is today the border between Bavaria and Austria. The manuscript was owned by the Benedictine convent of Saint Erentrud auf dem Nonnberg, which was founded by Saint Rupert in Salzburg in 711−12, and where Rupert’s niece Erentrud was the first abbess. With its 56 miniatures depicting scenes from the New Testament and the life of saints, it contains the most extensive cycle of illuminations from the famous Romanesque school of painters of Salzburg. Its illumination seems to be informed by the work known as the lectionary of Custos Perhtolt (active 1070−90), today preserved in the Pierpont Morgan Library, New York. The school of Salzburg developed a new, monumental style by fusing Byzantine and native traditions of painting.
Title in Original Language
Evangelia in missa legi solita, praecedente capitulari evangeliorum
Type of Item
102 leaves : parchment, illuminations
- BSB shelfmark: Clm 15903
Last updated: August 28, 2015