This 11th century manuscript is the only to survive to transmit the complete text of the epic and dramatic works of the first German poetess, Hrotsvitha of Gandersheim. Corrections and marginal notes are entered in the hand of the humanist Konrad Celtis, who used the manuscript as a printer's copy for his edition of Hrotsvitha's works published in Nuremberg in 1501. The manuscript once belonged to the Benedictine monastery of Saint Emmeram in Ratisbon (present-day Regensburg) and reached Munich in 1811. Born around 935, Hrotsvitha was a canoness in the German convent at Gandersheim. She wrote Latin poems, stories, plays, and histories during the reign of Emperor Otto the Great (962−73).
Title in Original Language
Type of Item
150 leaves : parchment, illuminations
- BSB shelfmark: Clm 14485
- This description of the work was written by Brigitte Gullath of the Bavarian State Library.
Last updated: December 20, 2016