Plans for the Cabildo of Gran Canaria
Presented here is the set of plans and elevations for the head office of the Cabildo de Gran Canaria (Council of Gran Canaria), located on Bravo Murillo Street, Las Palmas de Gran Canaria. The plans are preserved in the General Archive of the Cabildo. These architectural drawings have exceptional documentary value. They are the only complete surviving set of plans of several that were used in the workshop of the architect, Miguel Martín-Fernández de la Torre, who worked on the project between 1929 and 1932. The plans are dated Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, September 1932, and signed by Miguel Martín-Fernández de la Torre. Construction began in 1937, and the new Cabildo building officially opened on April 29, 1941. The building, which was the product of five successive designs, is an essential landmark for understanding modernity in the Canary Islands. Miguel Martín sought to design a structure that linked civil society, the political institution, and an architectural model, in so doing creating a building that ranks as an important example of the European architectural style known as Rationalism.
Title in Original Language
Planos del Cabildo de Gran Canaria
Type of Item
10 architectural plans on paper ; 45 x 48.3 centimeters
Last updated: June 13, 2016