Lhasa, Chagpori (Iron Mountain) from Southeast
This photograph shows the “iron mountain” Chagpori (also seen as Ch’agpori, Chiakpori, Chapori, Chakpori, Chaga, or Chag-pa hill in other sources) in Lhasa, viewed from the southeast. It is from a collection of 50 photographs of central Tibet acquired in 1904 from the Imperial Russian Geographical Society in Saint Petersburg by the American Geographical Society. According to the 1903 article “New light on Lhasa, the forbidden city,” by J. Deniker, “The building on the top of the Chagpori mountain is the Man-ba Ta-ts'an [Man-bo-datsang], a monastery where 'the monks devote themselves to the study of medicine'.” In his 1890 edition of Tibet, W.W. Rockhill states: “Doctors in Tibet are called am-chi. Their medicines are either of Chinese or native origin, or are brought from foreign lands in the West.” The photographs in this collection were taken by two Mongolian Buddhist lamas, G.Ts. Tsybikov and Ovshe (O.M.) Norzunov, who visited Tibet in 1900 and 1901. Accompanying the photos is a set of notes written in Russian for the Imperial Russian Geographical Society by Tsybikov, Norzunov, and other Mongolians familiar with central Tibet. Alexander Grigoriev, corresponding member of the American Geographical Society, translated the notes from Russian into English in April 1904.
Title in Original Language
Lhasa, Chagpori (Iron Mountain) from SE
Type of Item
1 photograph ; 5.5 x 8.5 inches
- J. Deniker, “New light on Lhasa, the forbidden city,” The Century Illustrated Monthly Magazine, vol. 66 (1903).
- W.W. Rockhill, Tibet (London: Royal Asiatic Society, 1890).
Last updated: March 22, 2016