Gribushin Mansion, Built around 1900, Perm', Russia


This view of the Gribushin House at No. 13 Pokrovskaia (now Lenin) Street in Perm' was taken in 1999 by Dr. William Brumfield, American photographer and historian of Russian architecture, as part of the "Meeting of Frontiers" project at the Library of Congress. Established in the 1720s as a factory settlement on the middle reaches of the Kama River, Perm’ (so named in 1781) is one of Russia's largest cities. Before the 1917 revolution, the city was the center of a prosperous merchant community in which the Gribushins were one of the most prominent families. The Gribushins’ wealth was based on the sale of tea and sugar, as well as real estate. In 1907, Sergei M. Gribushin commissioned the architect Aleksandr B. Turchevich to build this 18-room mansion in an exuberant style that includes elements of art nouveau and eclecticism. The main façade is marked by pilasters culminating in female masks. Gribushin's wife inherited the house after his death in 1915, and the family emigrated following the 1917 revolution. In 1922, the structure was converted into a children's hospital, but much of the decorative plaster work was preserved on both the interior and exterior of the structure. The mansion underwent a thorough restoration in 1987-95 and now serves as offices for the Urals Division of the Russian Academy of Sciences.

Last updated: January 11, 2016