Venezuela with the Southern Part of New Andalusia
This 17th-century map of Venezuela and a part of New Andalusia, provinces of the Spanish Empire located in present-day Venezuela, is a copy of an earlier map published in Amsterdam by Henricus Hondius (1597–1651). Hondius was the son of Jodocus Hondius (1563–1612), a Flemish cartographer and engraver who settled in Amsterdam in about 1593 and established a business that produced globes and the first large maps of the world. In 1604 Hondius acquired the plates for Mercator’s world atlas and in 1606 published a new edition of this famous work. Following the elder Hondius’s death in 1612, Henricus and his brother Jodocus carried on the family business. With his brother-in-law Johann Jansson, Henricus continued publication of what became known as the Mercator-Hondius atlas. The map is in Latin, with place-names given in Spanish. Shown on the right side of the map are the Orinoco River and the island of Trinidad. The cartouche in the lower right features pictures of native peoples and exotic animals. Two scales are provided, in German and French miles.
Title in Original Language
Venezuela cum parte Australi Novae Andalusiae
Type of Item
Last updated: September 18, 2015