Map of the Dominican Republic
The division of the Caribbean island of Hispaniola into the Spanish-speaking Dominican Republic and French-speaking Haiti goes back to the Treaty of Ryswick of 1697, under which Spain transferred the western third of what was then the Spanish colony of Santo Domingo to France. In the Treaty of Aranjuez of 1777, the French and Spanish empires defined precisely the border between their respective territories on the island. Part of the present-day border between Haiti and the Dominican Republic still follows the line negotiated in 1777, but adjustments to the border were made in the 20th century. This map of the Dominican Republic by Casimiro Nemesio de Moya shows the original colonial border of 1777 and changes made by the two republics up to 1910. Also shown are provincial borders and capitals, major towns and cities, railroads (both operational and planned), and physical features. An inset map at the lower right shows the northern part of the Atlantic Ocean and the location of the Dominican Republic in relation to the continents of North and South America, Europe, and Africa.
Rand McNally and Company, New York
Title in Original Language
Mapa de la República Dominicana
Type of Item
2 maps on 1 sheet : mounted on linen, color ; 36 x 50 centimeters
- Scale 1:1,000,000. 1 millimeter equals 1 kilometer.
Last updated: February 12, 2016