Tartar District, Ordzhonikidze Street #26, House (Late 19th Century), Perm', Russia


This view of a wooden house at No. 26 Ordzhonikidze (formerly Monastyrskaia) Street, in the Tatar district of Perm', was taken in 1999 by Dr. William Brumfield, American photographer and historian of Russian architecture, as part of the "Meeting of Frontiers" project at the Library of Congress. Established in the 1720s as a factory settlement on the middle reaches of the Kama River, Perm’ (so named in 1781) is one of Russia's largest cities. Before the 1917 revolution, it was the center of a large merchant community, of which the Tatars were an important component. Until the 20th century, most of the houses in Perm’ were built of wood, and a number have survived (tenuously) in the old Tatar district. This example, built in the late 19th century near the main mosque, consists of a simple one-story structure on a red brick base. (This base has sunk into the ground with frequent re-paving of the street and sidewalk.) The log courses are covered with milled siding (vagonka) in a chevron pattern. The decorative enhancement includes a fringe along the roof overhang and ornamental surrounds for the large windows on the main façades. The entrance is in the back. Although still in use at the time this photograph was taken, such houses are increasingly at risk from a lack of resources and interest in preserving them.

Last updated: January 11, 2016